Advocate, Educate & Support – Sustainable Food
There are many opportunities for us to change how ethical and sustainable food is supported in the Illawarra and Australia-wide. Advocacy, education and support can happen at schools, between friends, at work, within organisations and at any level of government. Start a conversation in your local community, talk to your friends, colleagues and peers, share information or write to your local councillors and Members of Parliament. You can:
Talk to friends, colleagues and peers about:
- What food is currently in season and where to buy it.
- Sharing season recipes and meal ideas.
Talk to local businesses about:
- Businesses showcasing seasonal produce.
- Businesses showcasing which seafood is sustainably caught.
- Businesses showcasing sustainably produced meats.
- Businesses sourcing sustainable game meat.
Talk to school and university staff about:
- Educating students on seasonality.
- Educating students on the impacts of unsustainable production.
- Educating students on how to identify sustainably-produced food.
Write to your local council or Members of Parliament about:
- Developing sustainability guidelines for food purchased by local, state and federal government institutions.
- Sustainability considerations for catering at council events and council-supported community activities.
- Sustainability considerations for catering at state and federal government events and community activities.
- Promotion of local and sustainable food production.