Celebrate Fair Food Week with us!
RSVP >> Connecting over Fair Food
October 15-23 is National Fair Food Week, and Food Fairness Illawarra, with support from Wollongong, Shellharbour and Kiama Councils are partnering to bring you a local event to celebrate Fair Food in the Illawarra!
Local interest is growing in a fairer food system with a number of new and innovative grassroots initiatives developing in the Illawarra. This evening event aims to connect and celebrate our local fair food community, showcase projects addressing food security, sustainable agriculture and sustainable food systems, and expand conversations about fair food. Come along to enjoy local food, connect with other foodies and celebrate the food our region has to offer. There will be a range of local speakers, expo stalls, a Fair Food community notice board & lots of time to mingle.
Local speakers include:
- Emma Huber from Sandy Goodwich
- Sarah Anderson from Popes produce
- Mahlah Grey from The Pines Dairy
- Ann Burbrook from Fair Food Forager
- Kiama Community Garden
- Karen TavernSmith from Food Fairness Illawarra
- Callum Champagne from Green Connect
- Nick Gill from Social Sciences, UOW
- Kiama Farmers Market
With more to be announced….
>> Everyone is invited to contribute a poster to the Fair Food community notice board, to showcase Fair Food projects.
Connecting over Fair Food is a free event with a “Pay As You Feel” opportunity at the door. All donations will be used for future Food Fairness Illawarra events to fuel the Fair Food conversation!
Food Fairness Illawarra
Food Fairness Illawarra (FFI) is a non-for-profit community network of individuals and organisations that are pasionate about good food for all. By good food we mean fresh, nutritious, safe and sustainable food. We take an interest in anything that affects access to good food in our area, including:
- How we use our fertile land
- Farming which looks after the natural environment
- The cost of putting good food on the table
- The availability of and access to shops and markets that sell good food
- Good food as part of celebrations and community
- Supporting organisations that work with people experiencing food insecurity
- Raising community awareness about access to good food for all
- Sharing skills and knowledge about growing and eating good food
Monthly Newsletter Input
If you come across any events, news, articles etc. that fit under the FFI Good Food For All banner, please email them for us to include in our monthly newsletter. This could be anything that touches (lightly) on food security, sustainable (urban) agriculture or sustainable food systems.